For GPs and professionals

The West of England Specialist Gender Identity Clinic accepts NHS referrals from any GP in England. Referrals will also be accepted from other healthcare professionals but it is important that the patient is registered with a GP in England who is willing to collaborate with their care.

GPs elsewhere in the United Kingdom may still be able to refer but they will need to approach the relevant NHS commissioners in Scotland, Wales, the Channel Islands, or elsewhere, for approval.

For a copy of the 'GIC referral form for GP referral' and 'GIC information for referrers and criteria for adequate referral' please click on the links in the menu to the right.

The referral form is available for GPs to use but GP referrals might also be made independently using the 'GIC information for referrers and criteria for adequate referral' as a guide.

We hope you will find the following resources useful:

Professional resources 

Royal College of Psychiatrists Position Statement: 'Supporting transgender and gender-diverse people' - This Position Statement sets out the Royal College of Psychiatrists’ view on how to work with transgender and gender-diverse people if they seek mental health services and makes recommendations on how this can be best implemented.

The World Professional Association for Transgender Health: 'Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People'.

Center of Excellence for Transgender Health: based at the University of California San Francisco, the mission of the Center of Excellence for Transgender Health is to increase access to comprehensive, effective, and affirming health care services for trans communities.

Gender Identity Research and Education Society: GIRES is a UK wide organisation whose purpose is to improve the lives of trans and gender non-conforming people of all ages, including those who are non-binary and non-gender.

Population screening 

NHS population screening: information for transgender people. This leaflet explains NHS population screening programmes available to transgender and non-binary people in England.

Fertility, sexual health and contraception

Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority: Information for trans and non-binary people seeking fertility treatment.

The Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists Clinical Statement: Contraceptive Choices and Sexual Health for Transgender and Non-Binary People.

cliniQ is a Community Interest Company providing a holistic sexual health and wellbeing service for all trans people, partners and friends. 

Terrence Higgins TrustA guide to safer sex for trans women. How to manage risks and maintain good sexual health.

Terrence Higgins TrustA guide to safer sex for trans men. How to manage risks and maintain good sexual health.

Practical steps within the transition

Apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

Change your name by deed poll