First Response Service
The First Response Service (FRS) puts you and your mental health first, providing a service seven days a week, 365 days a year. The service is an urgent mental health service for people with mental health and learning disability needs.
Callers either experiencing a mental health crisis, or have concerns about someone’s mental wellbeing can now access mental health care, advice and guidance 24/7.
The FRS will work closely with you, your family/carers and social networks to access the right care at the right time in the right place.
If you are concerned about feeling unsafe, are very distressed or if you are known to our services and there are signs of a mental health relapse, you can contact the FRS by dialling 0808 196 8708.
What happens when I call?
- The phone will be answered by a mental health practitioner who will listen to your concerns and help you get what you need.
- They can offer advice over the phone, or refer or give you information about other services which may help such as The Moorings (a support service run by Mental Health Matters - a mental health charity or put you in contact with other health services).
Who can call?
If you aren't able to make the call yourself then anyone can call on your behalf, for example a friend, carer, loved one, or your GP. The service is available to anyone aged 18 and above in a mental health crisis currently living in Devon (excluding Plymouth).
The following could be reasons to call the FRS:
- Changes to your mood
- Withdrawing from people (close family, friends or work colleagues)
- Not taking care of yourself like you usually would
- Having increased thoughts about your life not being worth living
- Excessive worry
- Feeling out of control or unable to cope
- Feeling anxious about leaving the house
- Hearing voices or seeing things that others can’t
- Thinking about harming yourself
By calling the FRS on 0808 196 8708 we can work together to get the right help.
If you are a professional and have concerns regarding a person’s mental wellbeing, believing they are experiencing a mental health crisis, please dial 0808 196 8708 and select option 1 then option 2.