The Exeter Academy of Nursing is offering four six-month ‘internships’ for nurses or midwives who wish to develop their research expertise.
These Academy of Nursing internships are suitable for nurses or midwives who want some time, support and knowledge to develop a subsequent application for Health Education England/National Institute for Health Research (HEE/NIHR), Integrated Clinical Academic Research Fellowship or NIHR Doctoral Fellowship. Fellowships help clinical nurses and midwives become a ‘clinical academic’- integrating applied research into clinical practice, or a full time academic researcher. These internships will help you develop a competitive application.
Details of the HEE/NIHR ICA scheme can be found here.
Details of the NIHR Doctoral Fellowships can be found here.
The Exeter Academy of Nursing internship awards are payable to the successful applicants’ employer and cover the costs of awardees spending one day per week at the University of Exeter’s Academy of Nursing in the Institute of Health Research, where they will:
1. Gain research experience by working in a research environment
2. Participate in a piece of ongoing research in nursing
3. Prepare an application to the appropriate HEE/NIHR ICA or NIHR Fellowship scheme
One internship will be awarded to an applicant from each NHS Trust (Devon Partnership, North Devon, RD&E, South Devon and Torbay).
To be eligible for one of these awards you will need to provide evidence that you have the following:
1. Current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council
2. Be employed by one of the four NHS Trusts listed above
3. Support from your employer to undertake the internship
4. A demonstrable interest in a research focused clinical academic career
Applicants will be expected to start their internships in March 2021.
Interested nurses or midwives should email their application form and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org using the instructions in the attached checklist.
Deadline for application: 31/11/2020