I need help with....

I’m worried about my gender


While you may have been born one gender, you may identify with another. It can cause confusion and distress, but there’s help available. 

Our biological sex Is the one given at birth, but our gender identity is the gender we identify with and we feel we are. They’re not always the same. If you begin to have questions about your gender, you may experience a whole host of emotions and need some help to understand them.

Stress, anxiety, depression and confusion are often caused as a result of living with gender dysphoria and shouldn’t be ignored. Learn more

While you may need to speak to specialists about your gender identity questions, it’s important to understand that gender dysphoria isn’t a mental health condition.

What to do

If you have questions about your gender then your GP can offer advice and guidance on seeking support.

If your GP feels it’s appropriate they can refer you to a specialist service called a Gender Identity Clinic where you will receive a detailed assessment from a professional. They will discuss with you the options that are available to you.

If you are struggling to cope, or would like to talk to someone there are a number of specialist helplines available. Learn more

Devon Partnership NHS Trust provides the West of England Specialist Gender Identity Clinic. You can either be referred to it by a specialist or by completing our self-referral form. Learn more

If you are in crisis call 0808 196 8708 or visit our 'I need help now' page or contact Samaritans on 116 123 or jo@samaritans.org.