I need help with...

I am worried about someone close to me

If you’re worried about the mental health of someone you know there are things that you can do to help them.


Sudden or drastic changes in behaviour may indicate that someone is developing some form of mental illness.

If you are worried about the behaviour of a friend or loved one, then it’s important that you offer them support. If you feel they need additional help, then there are services available for them.

Diagnosing a mental health problem is a complex process, and is best left to clinically trained professionals, but there are things that you can do to help.

What to do:

If you believe someone you care about is experiencing mental health issues encourage them to speak to their GP (Doctor). Their GP is in the best position to offer support and guidance for the person. If appropriate they can refer the patient to specialist services where they can get help.

If the person does not want to seek help but you have serious concerns about their mental health, then you can speak to their GP, but they will not be able to discuss any details with you. Learn more

If you would like to speak to someone about mental health conditions, there are a number of mental health helplines offering expert advice and support. Learn more

You can find information about our support for carers, family and friends by visiting our ‘Carers and families’ information page.

If you are in crisis call 0808 196 8708 or visit our 'I need help now' page or contact Samaritans on 116 123 or jo@samaritans.org.