What are the warning signs that someone may be considering taking their own life?
Suicide prevention begins with recognising warning signs that someone may be considering taking their own life.
The signs include:
- talking about death or suicide
- pre-occupation with death
- alcohol and drug misuse
- low self-esteem
- break-up of relationship
- changes in behaviour
- previous history of suicide attempts or family
- self-loathing or self-hatred
- getting affairs in order
- social isolation
- self-destructive behaviour
- sudden sense of calm or appearing very up-beat following a period of depression
Avoiding the topic is not the answer. Discussing suicide in an open, non-judgmental, sensitive, discreet and practical way can allow someone in crisis to know that help is available and they are not alone.